The Red Cross has recently announced that it will be receiving funding from the Australian Government in order to provide emergency relief and casework support for temporary visa holders in Australia.
The assistance provided will be a one-off and will include food, medicine and crisis accommodation costs.
The Red Cross Safety Net support will be available for temporary visas holders who have no way to support themselves and urgent needs, including:
- temporary visa holders in Australia
- who are in financial hardship
- who cannot access Centerlink, Medicare or similar services
- have no income, savings or other financial support (including family overseas)
- people who cannot afford basics like food and medicine
- families with young children, people with a disability, people who are experiencing harm, people who are vulnerable to COVID-19, and people with physical or mental health issues
If temporary visa holders are in the above category and require urgent assistance, they should contact Red Cross by email.
Further information can be found on the Red Cross website.
The UN Migration Agency
The UN Migration Agency is offering support to individuals in Australia who do not have adequate finances to return home.
Funding is available to cover the cost of a plane ticket home, bus fares from regions to cities and assistance getting a passport. This includes people whose visas have expired or who are on a bridging visa
More information is available here.
Please contact us if you have any questions, we are here to help.