Student Guardian Visa
The Student Guardian visa allows a parent, legal guardian or relative of a Student visa holder to accompany that student to Australia, and to provide care and support to them whilst they are studying. The student must be either under 18 years old, or have a physical or other exceptional need to be accompanied by an adult.
- be nominated by an overseas student who is under 18 years old OR has exceptional circumstances for requiring you to reside with them in Australia (e.g. the need for medical care, or established religious/cultural grounds);
- be the parent or legal custodian of that overseas student OR a relative who is at least 21 years old (unless there are exceptional circumstances);
- have sufficient funds to cover your return airfares and the cost of living in Australia, and have genuine access to those funds once you are in Australia;
- be able to provide for the general welfare, accommodation and support of the overseas student and any dependent family members;
- genuinely intend to reside in Australia with the overseas student on a temporary basis;
- not have any dependent children under the age of 6 (unless there are exceptional circumstances);
- meet the relevant health and character requirements, and obtain adequate health insurance cover for your stay in Australia.
It is a condition of this visa that you not work while you are in Australia (although voluntary work may be allowed).
You can study in Australia for up to 20 hours per week in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) but you can only study in a course other than ELICOS in Australia for up to three months. In addition, you cannot apply for another visa while you remain in Australia (with the exception of another Student Guardian visa).
The exact requirements of this visa will depend upon the circumstances of the nominating overseas student; in particular their country of origin and the type of study that they are undertaking in Australia. This will affect the level of evidence you need to provide in support of your application, in particular the evidence of sufficient funds. Please complete the individual assessment form if you would like further information regarding your eligibility for this visa.