Resident Return Visa
The Resident Return visa allows permanent residents of Australia to return to Australia after travelling overseas. A permanent resident visa allows the visa holder to remain in Australia indefinitely, and to travel to Australia from overseas for up to five years from the date that the visa was granted. Following this the permanent resident is required to obtain a Resident Return visa if they wish to return to Australia after a period of overseas travel.
In order to qualify for ANY Resident Return visa, you must be:
- An Australian permanent resident OR
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled OR
- a former Australian citizen who has lost or renounced your citizenship.
The validity period of your Resident Return visa will depend upon your circumstances at the time that you lodge your application:
Five Year Resident Return Visa
- You must have spent at least two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen.
One-Year Resident Return Visa
- You must show that you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties that benefit Australia.
- If you have been outside Australia for more than five continuous years since your permanent resident visa was granted (or since you ceased to be an Australian citizen), you must show that there was a compelling reason for your absence.
- If you are outside Australia and you do not hold a permanent visa AND you were not a permanent resident or Australian citizen when you last left Australia, you must have been an Australian permanent resident or citizen within the last 10 years.
Three-Month Resident Return Visa
During the last five years, you must:
- have spent at least one day lawfully in Australia;
- have spent less than two years in Australia.
You must also:
- have been a permanent resident or Australian citizen for the entire period that you spent in Australia;
- show that there is a compelling and compassionate reason for you to leave Australia;
- if you have been outside Australia for more than the last three months, show that there was a compelling and compassionate reason for your absence.