Parent/Contributory Parent Visas
The Parent and Contributory Parent visas allow the parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to enter into or remain in Australia. The child in question must be settled in Australia, and the parent must meet the 'balance of family' test.
The Contributory Parent visa differs from the Parent visa in that the parent is required to make an additional payment to the Australian government, in return for which their visa application is processed more quickly.
There is currently an extremely long waiting period (approximately 30 years from date of application) for the PARENT visa, due to the large backlog of applications and the fact that Australia only grants a certain number of Parent visas each year. The waiting period for a CONTRIBUTORY PARENT visa is significantly less, approximately 1-2 years from date of application.
The child who wishes to sponsor you must be:
- an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen;
- at least 18 years old;
- settled in Australia (generally this means that they must have resided in Australia for at least two years before the application is lodged);
- willing to provide you with financial and accommodation support for two years after your arrival in Australia.
As the applicant, you must:
- meet the 'balance of family' test i.e. have at least half of your children residing in Australia, or more children residing in Australia than in any other single country;
- obtain an Assurance of Support from your sponsor (or any other eligible person in Australia). This is a legal commitment to repay any recoverable social security payments made by Centrelink to you and your family;
- if applying in Australia, be at least 65 years old (if male) or at least 64-65 years old, depending upon your date of birth (if female).
Contributory Parent Visa - Additional Requirements
If you would like to apply for the Contributory Parent visa, which has a significantly shorter waiting time for the visa grant, then you will need to make a separate payment to the Australia government in addition to the normal application fee. This payment falls due when your application has been processed and your visa is ready to be granted. This pathway includes the option of a temporary visa, which is valid for two years, and a permanent visa.
The required payments are:
- AUD 29,130 per adult applicant for a temporary Contributory Parent visa, which is valid for two years.
- AUD 43,600 per adult applicant for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (this is reduced to AUD 19,420 if you already hold a Temporary Contributory Parent visa).
- AUD 2,095 for a dependent applicant under 18 years old.