Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Temporary or Permanent)

The Contributory Aged Parent visa allow aged parent(s) of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to enter into or remain in Australia. The child in question must be settled in Australia, and the parent must meet the 'balance of family' test.

Contributory Aged Parent visa applicants pay an additional charge to the Australian Government, in exchange for faster visa processing. Applying for the temporary visa and then this permanent visa costs more but the costs are spread across the two visas over a longer period of time.

The Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Temporary) allows the visa applicant to live in Australia for up to two years. If you want to stay in Australia permanently, you can apply directly for a Contributory Parent visa (Permanent) or before your temporary visa expires. You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when a decision is made.



As the visa applicant, you must:
  • must be at the age where you are eligible for an age pension in Australia, currently 65 years and 6 months
  • have a child who is an eligible Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen
  • pay an additional ('contributory') charge to the Australian Government immediately prior to the grant of your visa
  • meet the health and character requirements
  • meet the 'balance of family' test. This requires that at least half of your children reside in Australia, or that more of your children reside in Australia than in any other single country.


You are not required to meet the 'balance of family' test if you hold a valid Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa at the time of application for the Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) visa or if your Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa expired in the 28 days immediately before you apply for the permanent visa.


Australian Child

Your Australian child must:

  • be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be settled in Australia (generally this means that your child must have resided in Australia for at least two years)
  • undertake to provide you with any necessary financial and accommodation support for the first two years after your arrival in Australia
  • be at least 18 years old, and willing to sponsor your application. You may instead be sponsored by your child's spouse or de facto partner, provided that this person meets the above requirements. Alternatively, if your child is under 18, you may in some circumstances be sponsored by a relative or guardian of your child, or by a community organisation.

Helping you, helping others

Migration Plus adds value to the community in which it works. At least 5% of our profit goes towards our contributions to what we call Step Up and Reach Out which assists selected young people from Australia and around the world who choose to improve their position in life through education and learning. Read more

Registration and regulatory information

Migration Plus is a long established, Australian based privately owned independent immigration consultancy with a team of highly skilled OMARA Registered Migration Agents who represent our clients from around the world.  Migration Plus provides fee-based services in addition to the official Government application fees and disbursements to advise, assist and represent our clients through the complex visa application process.

All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the Australian Government, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms or electronic lodgement systems available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Plus is not affiliated with the Australian Government.  We act independently in assisting and representing our clients interests, we advocate for our clients. The Australian Government registers Migration Agents – all our Agents are registered under that system.  We are also licensed to provide Continuing Professional Development to Migration Agents and we belong to the Migration Institute of Australia.  We take great pride and offer exceptional professionalism in helping you achieve your immigration goal.