Carer Visa

The Carer visa is a permanent visa that allows people to care for or to assist a relative providing care to an Australian relative with a long-term or permanent medical condition. The person requiring care must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. They must also be either a relative of the applicant, or a member of that relative's family unit.


Visa Applicant

As a visa applicant you must:
  • have a relative in Australia with a medical condition who requires your care or needs your assistance to provide care to a close family member
  • be willing and able to stay in Australia and provide substantial and continuing care required by your Australian relative
  • fully understand what kind of care or assistance your relative needs
  • meet health and character requirements (family members must also meet these requirements, if included in the application).



Your sponsor must:

  • be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident and settled in Australia
  • be your partner, child, parent, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew (or step-equivalent)
  • have had their (or their family member) medical condition assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services as being one which significantly affects them in attending to the practical aspects of daily life and which will need direct care for at least two years
  • not be able to reasonably get the care they need from any other relative in Australia or from welfare, hospital or nursing community services in Australia.


The application may also be sponsored by your relative's spouse or de facto partner, if that person lives with the Australian relative, is 18 years or older and is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen.

Helping you, helping others

Migration Plus adds value to the community in which it works. At least 5% of our profit goes towards our contributions to what we call Step Up and Reach Out which assists selected young people from Australia and around the world who choose to improve their position in life through education and learning. Read more

Registration and regulatory information

Migration Plus is a long established, Australian based privately owned independent immigration consultancy with a team of highly skilled OMARA Registered Migration Agents who represent our clients from around the world.  Migration Plus provides fee-based services in addition to the official Government application fees and disbursements to advise, assist and represent our clients through the complex visa application process.

All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the Australian Government, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms or electronic lodgement systems available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Plus is not affiliated with the Australian Government.  We act independently in assisting and representing our clients interests, we advocate for our clients. The Australian Government registers Migration Agents – all our Agents are registered under that system.  We are also licensed to provide Continuing Professional Development to Migration Agents and we belong to the Migration Institute of Australia.  We take great pride and offer exceptional professionalism in helping you achieve your immigration goal.