Migration Plus


 Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday visa allows certain tourists aged between 18 and 30 years old to have an extended holiday in Australia, while supplementing their funds with short-term work. The visa is valid for 12 months, and allows multiple entries into and exits from Australia. Visa holders can work for up to six months with each employer, and can study for up to four months. 

A second Working Holiday visa may be granted to those applicants who completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while holding their first Working Holiday visa. 

Minimum Requirements (depending upon your particular circumstances, you may need to meet additional requirements)

As the visa applicant, you must:

  • be aged between 18 and 30 years old at the time of your application (exception: Ireland and Canada passport holders - age limit: 35 years old)
  • meet the relevant health and character requirements, and provide evidence of health and/or travel insurance if necessary
  • have access to sufficient funds to support yourself during the initial stages of your holiday in Australia (about AUD 5000) 
  • be outside Australia at the time your application is lodged and at the time that your visa is granted (if applying for this visa for the first time)
  • hold a valid passport for one of the countries listed in the table below:

Countries Participating with Australia in the Working Holiday Program









Hong Kong




South Korea






United Kingdom



If you are applying for your second Working Holiday visa, you must have not yet turned 31 years of age and also have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa. 'Specified work' includes certain types of work carried out in the plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, tree farming and felling, mining and construction industries. It includes also work carried in tourism and hospitality if you have worked in Northern Australia.

You must enter Australia within 12 months of the date that your visa is granted.

You are entitled to work for any employer in any location in Australia, as long as you work for no more than 6 months with any one employer.

You must also not study for more than 4 months in Australia.