For applicants with experience in managing a business or investments, who wish to make a designated investment in Australia.
At the time that you lodge your visa application, you must:
- be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, and genuinely intend to live for at least two years in that State or Territory;
- be under 55 years of age;
- score at least 65 on the innovation points test (which takes into account your age, English competency, qualifications, experience, turnover and assets, amongst other factors).
At the time that you are invited to apply for this visa:
- you must have a high level of skill (and a successful record) in managing eligible investments and/or qualifying businesses, with no involvement in unacceptable business activities;
- you must have a minimum of three years of direct involvement in the management of at least one qualifying business or eligible investment;
- in at least one out of the last five financial years, you (or you and your spouse or de facto partner, if applicable) must have been directly involved in the management of:
o eligible investments totalling at least A$1.5 million OR
o a qualifying business, where you (or you and your spouse/de facto partner combined) owned at least 10% of the total value of that business).
An investment is eligible if you own it for the purpose of producing a return in the form of income or capital gain, and not for personal use. Acceptable investments include ownership of a business, cash on deposit, stocks or bonds, real estate, or gold or silver bullion.
A qualifying business is operated for the purpose of making profit by providing goods and/or services to the public. It is not operated for the purpose of speculative or passive investment.
In the two financial years immediately before you are invited to apply for this visa, you (or you and your spouse/de facto partner, if applicable) must have legally acquired net personal, business and/or investment assets totaling at least A$2.25 million, which can be legally transferred to Australia within two years of the date that your visa is granted.
You (or you and your spouse/de facto partner, if applicable) must make a government-approved designated investment of A$1.5 million in the State or Territory that nominates your application, and be prepared to hold that investment for at least four years.
In addition, you must genuinely intend to continue your business and investment activity in Australia after this investment has matured.